Template-specific Channel Layouts - similar to what Blueprints did in EE2

Justin Alei

08 May, 2017 07:30 PM

Hey guys,
I had mentioned this in past discussions with Tom, but feel it might have gotten lost as it was just an aside... so wanted to add it here and let others see it and hopefully agree it'd be useful.

One of the huge advantages of Structure for us was using the combination of EE2, Structure and Blueprints, where we were previously able to have a single channel called Pages with *all* fields available in any of our 'page' templates, but with Blueprints, we had the ability to create custom Publish Layouts for each template. For example we could have a default single-column template plus a two-column and a three-column template and the content editor could use the Structure Template dropdown to choose which template they wanted and the customized Publish Layout would hide fields not available specific to that template.

I understand I can create multiple channels where each one is set as a 'Page' in the Structure Channel Settings, but the problems with this is:

a) content editors can't change the channel of an entry, but they can easily switch the Structure Template
b) setting up the multiple channels would take forever as every field would have to be setup individually for each channel.

My suggestion is to try and find a way to allow developers to create 'Channel Form Layouts' (as they're now called in EE3) that are specific to a Member Group *AND* Structure Template combination. This way we could keep the single channel for Pages, but be able to hide the 'Left Column Content' field on the pages that don't have a left column or only show the "Sliding Banners" matrix field in the homepage template.

Does this make sense? If not, let me know. Making the backend more usable is really important to us so this ability would certainly help our clients out a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac